3.25.2008

Love one another

You have heard it said that when an idea keeps coming to you, you probably need to pay attention? Well, in the past week, at least 3 different people who do not even know each other have strongly suggested I read "A New Earth" and/or see the online videos of Mr. Tolle and his discussion of this book. Guess I better get my read on! Maybe I might find some answers to the "What does it all mean anyway?" questions that I have. Sounds like I would at least have something to chew on there.

I have been given a special gift in the form of a blog friend with a path very similar to my own. We have recently had an ongoing email discussion of spiritual topics that has been very enlightening and comforting to me. One of the topics of the discussion has been Jesus. And Jesus has been a particularly vexing dilemma for me. I was raised Catholic and all my life have bought into the idea that we must be "saved from our sins or we are going to hell and that Jesus was THE path to salvation." Somehow, over the last several years, that idea has become ridiculous to me. I have always questioned the idea that a loving God would allow the majority of creation to perish in hellfire because of one little factor- they aren't Christians. What about Jews? or Muslims? or Hindus? or anyone else? There are truly devout people in every religious tradition. I have met many of them. And furthermore, some of the kindest, most loving and giving people I have ever met have been totally atheists. I just think that a God/dess that could create such amazing diversity in this vast universe, could open up as many diverse paths to him/herself.

And so, what about Jesus? Who the heck was he anyway? I mean how could one man effect the course of history of so much of the world for more than 2000 years if he wasn't God? His teachings are the same as the teachings of every one of the major prophets throughout history. His story is even similar to the stories surrounding these other major prophets, right down to the virgin birth. And these other major prophets: Buddha, Mohammed, Abraham, et al have effected history for billions of people down through the ages for the rest of the world. None of them claimed to be God- and for that matter neither did Jesus. His followers touted that claim. And as my blog friend has said: Jesus is a son of God just as we are daughters (and sons) of God.

My blog friend had an interesting take on "salvation", as well. She said that she thinks the salvation Christ talks about "is the same as enlightenment, liberation, awakening, finding the connection to the vast oneness that is present". Whew! Now that is some heavy stuff right there! You mean we don't have to worry about going to hell? What a freakin' relief- I am being serious here. I have been thinking "well what if I am wrong about this salvation thing?" But this makes way more sense to me than anything else I have read or heard.

The other disturbing factor about Jesus, for me, is that his teachings have been so misconstrued and abused in every century since he was here. The Crusades, the Inquisition, the use of his teachings to justify slavery, the opression of women and glbt people.....etc, ad nauseam. I just can't help but wonder where people have gotten some of their ideas! Oh yeah, we are talking about human beings here, aren't we? But still.... how do you get "believe or die!" out of "Love one another as I have loved you"? If you can figure that one out, I would love to hear about it.

Namaste, blog friends!

6 comments:

JessTrev said...

You know, in our home we always say the red words (the ones J actually said) are pretty solid. I also think that living in fear is a tough road to walk. Namaste to you and your puppy too!

Sojourner said...

Thanks Mamabird.

Bert J said...

I'm right there with MamaBird - my constant appeal to others who have a (rightful) distaste of American Christianity is to "read what's red".
I was raised as a Presbyterian - a form of Calvinism, which preaches that not only those that aren't "saved" are doomed to drink scalding hot lava lattes in some brimstone cafe, but that God actually had chosen who's saved before they're born!! You actually had no choice in the matter, and there's no salvation for some regardless! Ultimately, we all have to look beyond the images that others present to us, be it a pastor about Jesus, a rabbi about Moses, an imam about Allah, or even Jesus, Buddha, Lao-Tzu or the other "greats" about the way and into ourselves. Thanks for the writings, love'm

B.

Mrs. G. said...

I often wonder what Jesus thinks about how many cruel and narrow minded people have taken his words hostage and used them to divide rather than unite.

Thanks for such a lovely and thought provoking post.

Mike Golch said...

love one another,goes hand in hand with do onto others as you would have done onto you.
To me spirituality means never tho have to say sorry for how I live,I except you for who you are not what you are.This is how I try to live my life,throw no stones unless you want them thrown at you.

Sojourner said...

I am right there with you on that Mike.