3.04.2008

Changes

It is morning. The toughest part of my day. Getting up and getting going takes me forever! I recently stopped taking anti-depressants after many years on them. My mornings are definitely tougher without them. But I decided it was time to give it a try. (I am not suggesting, mind you, that ANYONE on medication for anything go off their meds. This is partly my shrink's doing.) The most noticable effects of this are physical. I am dizzy, I wake up stiff and sore, I fatigue more easily. These symptoms scare me, they sound like MS and other nasty illnesses.

I have several reasons for trying this. First, I don't like the idea of taking ever increasing numbers of medications- which as we age, many of us have to do. I wish to save my liver and kidneys as long as possible. Second, I would like to save my health care dollars. Third, I have changed my diet, and want to see if that helps my depression. Fourth, I have never tried other strategies for dealing with depression without the medications.

Now, I must admit, that some symptoms of my depression have begun to reappear. So far, they are tolerable. And if they become unmanagable I will certainly go back to the meds. But, I think it is important to give other strategies a fighting chance. The things I am trying include: exercise, diet changes, journaling, therapy. These all take some time to manifest their effectiveness- just as the meds do when you first start taking them. The biggest problem I am having is consistency. But that has always been an issue with me. I just have to keep working at it.

3 comments:

Mike Golch said...

sorry to hear that the deprwssion is rearing it's ugly head,you are never along there are a lot of us out ther who do battle with it.Might I suggest listing to some music that makes you feel good.mine is slamming in a c/d into the computer or the steroe to listen to.

Sojourner said...

Thanks, Mike. Today turned out to be a good day. I love music, too. It is also helpful. I am finding regular exercise to be one of the best things, though. Hope you are well.

Mike Golch said...

true,exercise can help,it cannot hurt,and think of the added benifits,weight lose.If i can get these seizures of mine under control,that I could get back to useing the exercize bicycle that we have and work on loseing some of the excess bagage the I have.Oh some where between 50-70 would do it.