1.17.2008

Lucy

This is Lucy- 9 months old, and a bundle of energy. A large bundle of energy, who is often bored. And apparently bewildered. She reflects me in ways I had not expected. Like me she can be very loud and very demanding. Also, like me she can be easily frightened and often bewildered. But she is also terribly sweet most of the time. For example if I am sitting at the island in our kitchen, and she wants attention (when does she not?), she will come and set her head in my lap. I find this awfully endearing.

What does Lucy have to do with spirituality and seeking? She makes me look at myself and the way I respond. I find myself having tremendous feelings of protectiveness, love, tenderness, and compassion for this creature entrusted to my care. But she also evokes tremendous feelings of annoyance and irritation. She tries my patience to the very limit. I spend a lot of time at home alone with the animals. They are my only community much of the day, most days. I, frankly, like them better than people a lot of the time. They can be challenging- the dogs bark for no apparent reason, sometimes, they chase and torment the cats, Lucy is a 4 legged shredder and destructo doggie, and as aforementioned demands almost constant attention. On the other hand, these animals seem to love me unconditionally, and forgive very easily. They offer comfort without words, and make me smile or relax, just by being here.

Well, I don't know how spiritual this all is. But it feels that way to me.

1 comment:

Karen Jensen said...

I think dogs teach us a lot about how to live and how to love. I learn a lot from my girls. That's a great picture of Lucy.