1.18.2008

GRRRR!

I just finished reading a book with which I have been completely enthralled for several days. It's called "The Power of One"- a novel. I love novels. The ending disappointed me terribly, it was as though the writer decided he was tired of writing and just threw the ending together to be done with it. I have done that with projects and been disappointed in my own results.

The book had strong spiritual themes running throughout the whole thing. And then fell flat on its face, in my estimation, which no doubt means nothing to the author. The book is about a boy growing up in South Africa in the 1930's. His story is harrowing from the start. But he makes it his goal to become the welter weight boxing champion of the world. He is an incredibly bright young man and an excellent boxer. He forms relationships with amazing people, he is a leader, tremendously independent, and wise far beyond his age. He is accepted to Oxford University, but doesn't go right away because (though he is offered money from his wealthy best friend) he wants to earn the money to pay his own way to college. An admirable goal, to be certain. So he goes to work in the copper mines in Northern Rhodesia for a year. His job is very dangerous, yet he escapes death. On his last day there, he meets the man who tormented him in boarding school when he was 5 years old (the other boy was 12 at the time). They have an all out brawl, and the young man beats him though he is much smaller, physically. And there ends the book!! WHAT?? What happens to his goals? Does he go to college? Does he stay in the mines? What the heck? I know some would say- well, for him, that was the fight he needed to have. Maybe, but then what? I suppose the author wants the reader to draw his/her own conclusions. That's not what I read novels for. I want answers. I want an honest ending.

Hmm... I guess that is kind of where I am at with everything right now. I just want answers. I don't seem to want to think it out for myself. I seem to be afraid to do this. I don't really feel I have the energy to do this. And a big part of me thinks I don't have the wisdom to do this.

Well...it's late. I think I will stop thinking right now.

1 comment:

Mike Golch said...

reading is a great pastime.I try to do that once and a while surfing the "net is fun as well as is traveling to different blogger sites.I do this when I see someones comment on someone else's site.Thake gare.
P.S. us older folk need to stick together,I'll be 56 tomarrow(tuesday)