2.25.2008

Saturday

It's been a quiet weekend. I am working, and worked last night. Last night was very quiet, not one visit. Tonight is shaking out a bit more busily. Two visits so far and it is only 1:30 am. Maybe that will be all, we will see I guess. Yesterday went to lunch with the boys (Vinny, Vitto, Tony) and their grandma. They were quite wound up at first, but got settled after they ate. The restaurant we went to has a bunch of arcade games, and grandma divided up $10.00 worth of quarters amongst them. There were also vending machines with little trinkets in them. Do you remember the joy of spending your own money at that age? I remember going to the corner store which had a penny candy counter. Gosh! It was so exciting to stand there and pick out my goodies. I could see the joy and excitement the boys were experiencing in picking out their little trinkets. It's so much fun to be with them and just let them be little kids. Sometimes I get too caught up in their misbehavior to enjoy the fun stuff. Yesterday, I just stepped back and watched. One of the machines refused to spit out its toy. So, Tony and I went to the hostess and politely requested a refund. The lady graciously gave us back the "stolen" quarter. Tony looked at me with great surprise and said "huh! That was easy!" I guess he has already come to expect arguments from adults. Life hasn't been easy for these fellows who were abandoned by their father at 2 and then taken from their drug addicted mother just before they turned 3. Most recently they have been handed over to their dad, after more than 3 years in a foster home. The foster parents had wanted to adopt the boys and they were quite attached to each other. Fortunately, the State, in its "infinite wisdom", did keep the boys together through all this. Well, maybe I will try to catch a nap before my pager goes off again.

1 comment:

Sojourner said...

Thanks Cheri. I appreciate you stopping by. I am so glad to have those boys in my life- you have no idea!