2.02.2008

"The Universe" is unfolding as it should

I have been spending hours and hours doing the silliest stuff: changing and re-changing the backgrounds to my blogger page as well as my myspace page. The better stuff I have been doing is reading blogs. I have found a few faves. There are some amazingly talented people blogging out there folks! Their blogs are funny, uplifting, heart-warming, and just plain enthralling. I love the photos, too. I especially love pictures of babies and animals or even baby animals.

On the more serious side: As a hospice nurse, I have the duty to be present to families when thier loved ones have died. I am a lesbian, and out to my coworkers, family and friends. This last week, I had the priveledge of being called out to the death of a woman who, also, was a lesbian. This was the first time I had been present at the death of someone who was openly gay. The family and friends of the deceased woman knew immediately when I walked in that I was "family" and were obviously relieved that they could relax and be themselves.

I had put a word out to "The Universe" to allow me to be the one on duty when this woman died. One of the reasons being, I would want the same in their position, ie, someone who identified with my loss and would not judge me for being different. Someone who wouldn't stare open-mouthed when I kissed my partner good-bye.

I just wanted to be there to give comfort to this 75 year old woman who had just lost the love of her life, and have her know that I grieved along with her and was not thinking of our differences. These two women had been together for more than 45 years! Surely, they deserved to have their last moments together honored and respected by one of their own. (This, too, was a first for me. The longest standing couple I had met prior to these women was 25 years. )

Now, don't get me wrong, I work with a tremendouly open-minded, kind and loving group of individuals. I know, for certain, that I would be comfortable with any one of them attending the death of one of my family members. But that lady does not know them the way I do. And for her, it would have been difficult to trust someone without knowing there were no differences between us. After all, she lived most of her life in a world where she had to hide her true identity for survival.

So, "The Universe" responded to my request, and allowed me the honor of helping a kindred spirit send her love off. Thanks, Universe. I felt blessed to be there.

2 comments:

Karen Jensen said...

Good for you. I'm glad you were there for her, too.

Mike Golch said...

I'm glad that you were there,when you needed to be.This being said you do not have to say what your sexual orientation is as far as I'm concerned,as a "strait"I have friends that are in an alternative life style.One friend is a lesbian,one of my friends is gay.they are as excepting of me as I am of them.we have a great friendship,and is it not how things are supposed to be?
"Huggs".Mike