3.16.2009

Cruise log Number 1- How to prepare for a cruise

So, we won a cruise! Yuh-huh, yes we did. We won it here: http://www.olivia.com/Travel/default.aspx

I never win anything, ever, not even a stuffed toy at the carnival. SO imagine my surprise and, yes, skepticism, when Jen said to me, very nonchalantly,on Jan 30th:

"Oh by the way, we got an email here that says we won a cruise from Olivia".

Me: "No way!" Jen: "Yes, see, here it is right here. Must be some kind of scam, huh?" Me: "Well, it says, right here to call for details. I will call them on the 5th like it says here. I mean, you never know, right? What can it hurt to call them?" Jen: "Well, nothing, but I am not going to get excited, yet." Me: "Right, no sense getting disappointed."

Feb. 5th Me: "Hello, Olivia? I got an email here, says I won a cruise. What's the catch?" Voice on the other end of the line:(Laughter)"No catch, it's just like it says in the email. You pay your taxes and fees and the rest is on us!" Me:"Really!? I mean they don't want you to sign your life away or anything? You aren't required to buy 10 more cruises?" Voice: (More laughter) "Nope! Nothing like that. Oh- but do you have a passport?" Me:"(Sigh, here it is.) No. I have never had one." Voice:"Well, it isn't hard to get one, but you have to have one for this trip as we are going outside of the country. I just checked and you can get it expedited and have it within 10 days to 2 weeks. I can extend this offer to you until Monday to give you time to apply for your passports and see what they say about how long it will take." Me:"Ok, so if I apply for my passport and call you back by Monday, we can book this cruise under the same conditions?" Voice:"Right."

So, off I go to find out about applying for a passport. Still not excited, still doesn't feel real. But I find out that I can apply for my passport at the local post office, and that for double the cost I can have it expedited. OK- so much for free trips. But- I have gotten my tax refund and we decide to go ahead and apply for the passports and book the cruise.

Next catch: you have to have a birth certificate to apply for your passport. Now, I know I have mine and I am fairly certain about where to find it. I went right to the file box where it is supposed to be, but is not. Then, I spent the next 4 hours- that's right 4 hours- tearing up the house from top to bottom searching, frantically, for both my and Jen's birth certificates. Did I find them, you ask? Why, yes, yes I did, after much agitation, cussing, running up and down the stairs and going through every box of papers (Jen throws NOTHING away) we have and missing an appointment. I found both our birth certificates.

Feb.7th We stood in line for 30 minutes after filling out the long application for a passport. When we got to the clerk, he looked at Jen's birth certificate (the one I spent 4 hours searching for)and says "oh, this is a hospital birth certificate, that won't work. You have to have the one registered with the state." I am about to jump over the counter, now and cram this piece of paper down this guys throat, but Jen says- "wait, I am pretty sure I have the right one at home." Me: "So, shall I wait here and finish my application while you go look for it?" And out the door she went. I stayed in the line and finshed my application and had my photo taken and paid the nice man $200.00 for an expedited passport. Then I went next door and shopped while waiting for Jen to return. She did return, with the correct birth certificate, about an hour later. She finished her application and had her photo taken and I paid the nice man another $200.00 for an expedited passport.

Feb. 9th The minute the offices at Olivia in San Francisco, CA, open for business on Monday morning, I am on the phone. The cruise is booked and I am launched into the world of cruise preparations.

I spent the next 3 weeks filling out forms on the internet, calling credit card companies,arranging tickets to fly to Florida, shopping, making lists, digging out the luggage, filling out more forms on the internet, arranging a dog sitter, shopping, getting Power of Attorney for Health Care and Living Will forms filled out and notarized, getting all my prescriptions from the doctor, shopping, researching the areas we will be travelling to, researching whether or not we need vaccinations, getting prescription sunglasses...oh, and did I mention shopping?

By Feb.28th, all is ready, packed, arranged, filled out. And I am exhausted! I am ready for this cruise, which I believe is going to be restful, relaxing and refreshing.

Stay tuned for Cruise Log #2. Travelling

1 comment:

Karen Jensen said...

Yay for you! I can't think of a nicer person to win a cruise (except of course, myself).